Remember to add USDA IQF Mushrooms (Material Code #110421) to your Foods Available list for your districts to order.
USDA IQF Diced Mushrooms can be used in menus to:
- Top pizzas, sandwiches and burgers
- Blend with pastas, sloppy joes and tacos to increase portion size
- Divert to your processor for juicy burgers and meatballs
- Increase flexibility in meeting guidelines while adding toppings students love
- Increase consumption of vegetables by combining with popular consumed entrées
See here why schools already love the mushrooms!
Carmen FischerDirector of Child Nutrition Services & Warehouse / Rockwood School District
“We were excited to see mushrooms on our Missouri commodity open order list. It's always fun to experiment with new vegetables and to educate kids about them. We introduced the mushrooms in a Taste Test Tuesday recipe for marinated vegetables and are working on an egg Florentine soufflé using USDA eggs, mushrooms, spinach and cheese. We are looking forward to incorporating mushrooms into more recipes that our students enjoy.”
Eric ZacariasManager of Marketing & Innovation / Cincinnati Public Schools
“Serving the Blend burger helps us keep our high school participation above 76%. The burger blended with mushrooms is a juicier, bigger patty with less fat and calories so we are able to add two slices of turkey bacon and cheese to the burger. The kids come in week after week because they know the Blend burger is on the menu that day. It was so popular we will be adding Blended meatballs to the menu to as well.”